Friday 15 April 2016

Here's To Rock 'n' Roll

The music has guided me
And moved me all my life
Rock ‘n’ Roll will always be
My mother, my lover, my wife

I saw Mick and the Stones
Tour Exile on Main Street
Back then he had tone
And the jumpsuit fit so neat

I saw Pink Floyd at the Big “O”
The pig got away from them there
It started to fly off low
It was gone half way through Wish You Were Here

Elton John played for three solid hours
Eight costume changes too
He paused for less than half an hour
And played every song he knew

I saw Dave Van Ronk in Montreal
My hero, the man who taught Dylan
At the Yellow Door, and he played all
His best blues and it was thrilling

I was at Summer Jam at Watkin’s Glen
With the Dead, the Allmans and the Band
When it rained, everyone got wet as hens
But, in the end it was all just grand

I’ve seen Dylan three times
He was OK, then terrible, then OK
I never saw him when he was fine
But, then again, that’s the price you pay

Joni played one of those shows with Bob
It was at the Gardens and the sound was poor
She tossed out everything she could lob
But none of it made it off the floor

I saw a show where “No Show” didn’t show
But I met Merle Haggard there
I had a backstage pass, and it allowed
Me to meet June Carter Cash, so fair

I never saw the Eagles or Bruce
Two bands that fit my profile well
The E Street Band is still running loose
But Hotel California’s an empty shell

The music has guided me
And moved me all my life
Rock ‘n’ Roll will always be
My mother, my lover, my wife


No comments:

Post a Comment